Unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 400° F/200°C/Gas Mark 6. Grease 2 baking sheets. Generously grease 2 cookie sheets.
- Beat egg white and vanilla until foamy but not stiff. Add sifted flour, salt, and sugar and mix.
- Place teaspoonfuls of batter at least 4 inches apart on one of the prepared baking sheets. Tilt the sheet to let the batter form round shapes about 3 inches in diameter. Do not make too many cookies in one go, as to fold them, they need to be hot. Start with 2 or 3 and see if you can increase the number.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cookie is golden around the outer edge of the circle but still pale in the middle. While one sheet is baking, prepare the other.
- Remove from oven and using a spatula, quickly put the cookies upside down on a wooden board. Quickly put fortune strip in the middle of the cookie, and fold the cookie in half. Place the circular edge across the rim of a measuring cup and pull the pointed edges down, one on the inside of the cup and one on the outside. Place folded cookies into the cups of a muffin tin or egg carton to hold their shape until firm.