Onions, sliced very thinly
Freshly ground black pepper
Dry white wine
1 ½ cups, shredded
Gold Onion Soup
2 h 20 m
2 h 60 m
- Add butter to a saucepan, melt over medium heat.
- Add onions; cook stirring until translucent (about 15 minutes).
- Continue cooking the onions until they get browned and caramelized (about 10 more minutes).
- Sprinkle onions with flour while stirring vigorously to coat all onions. Cook stirring for 5 more minutes; make sure you scrape the bottom to prevent the flour from burning.
- Add water, honey, wine, and soy sauce. Mix until well combined and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; let simmer under the lid for about an hour and a half till slightly cooked down and thickened.
- Add shredded Swiss; stir till thoroughly melted. Serve with fresh baguette.