1 onion, large, chopped
1 bunch, chopped
2 cloves, minced
2 lbs., rinsed, chopped
½ cup, chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup, crumbled
Traditional Greek Spanakopita
1 h 30 m
1 h 60 m
- Heat the oven to 350° F/175° C/ Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare a 9x9 inch baking pan and lightly oil it.
- Pour 3 tbsp. of olive oil into a large skillet and heat it over a medium heat.
- Add onion, green onions, and garlic and sauté them until soft and a bit brown.
- Add spinach and parsley, stir well, and continue cooking for about 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Take a medium bowl and add eggs, ricotta, and feta. Add the spinach mixture and stir well.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough in the baking pan lightly brushing it with olive oil.
- Lay another sheet of dough on the top, brush the sheet with oil, and repeat with two more sheets. Make sure the sheets overlap the pan.
- Spread the spinach and the egg and cheese mixture over the dough sheets and fold the hanging dough over the filling.
- Brush the dish with oil and layer the remaining four sheets of the dough brushing each of them with oil, too.
- Tuck the dough into the pan and cover to seal the filling.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, cut into squares, and serve hot.