2 cups, sifted
Oil for deep frying
½ cup, for dusting
- Add vinegar to milk, stir well, and let it stand for several minutes until thick.
- Combine the shortening and sugar in a medium-sized bowl and cream until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Sift together flour, soda, and salt and stir this mixture into the sugar mixture alteration it with vinegar-milk mixture.
- Flour a flat surface and roll the dough on it until it’s 1*/3 inch thick.
- Use a doughnut cutter to cut doughnuts and let them stand for about 10 minutes.
- Take a large deep skillet, add oil, and heat it to 375° F/190° C.
- Fry doughnuts until golden turning them over once.
- Drain them on paper towels and dust with confectioners’ sugar.