1 cup, room temperature
2 cups1 cup butter, softened
Cooked mashed sweet potatoes
Grated orange zest
Sweet Potato Cake
2 h 0 m
2 h 30 m
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter a 10-in tube pan, add 2 tbsp. of flour, toss to coat all sides, tap out the excess.
- Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and soda, and salt to a large bowl. Whisk to aerate.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter with sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in sweet potato puree and vanilla extract. Beat in eggs, one by one, don’t worry if at this stage the batter looks as if it has curdled. Carefully, on low speed, beat the flour mixture into the potato mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan. Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Test the readiness with a toothpick.
- Remove from oven. Let sit in the pan for 20 minutes; then flip over onto a platter.
- While the cake is cooling down, whisk together the frosting. Mix small portions of orange juice with the confectioner’s sugar until you get a drizzly mixture. Drizzle over the cooled cake and sprinkle with orange zest (optional).