Beef cube steaks
4 (1/2 lb.)
1 ½ cups
Hot pepper sauce
2 cloves, minced
Vegetable shortening for deep frying
Ground black pepper
Juicy Chicken Fried Steak
- Pound steaks so that they’re about 1/4-inch thick.
- Take a shallow bowl and place 2 cups of flour in it.
- Take another shallow bowl and combine the next four ingredients (from baking powder to salt) in it.
- Add the next four ingredients (from buttermilk to garlic) and stir well.
- Take a steak, dredge it first in flour, then in batter, and then in flour again. Repeat with each steak.
- Dredge all steaks with flour to make sure they’re completely coated with it.
- Take a deep cast-iron skillet, add shortening to it, and heat to 325° F/165° C. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until evenly golden brown.
- Cover a plate with paper towels and place steaks on it to drain.
- Drain fat from the skillet reserving ¼ cup of the liquid substance. Try to reserve as much of the solid pieces as possible.
- Start heating the skillet with the oil again on a medium-low heat; add the remaining flour use a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan and release solid pieces.
- Add milk, stir well, raise the heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Keep simmering for 6 to 7 minutes or until the gravy becomes thick.
- Season with salt and pepper and spoon the gravy over steaks.