1 cup, plus more for brushing
2 1/2 cups, plus for dusting
1/3 cup, plus for sprinkling
8 tbsp, cut into 1-inch cubes, frozen
1 lb, hulled, sliced (for the filling)
Light brown sugar
1/4 cup (for the filling)
1 cup (for the filling)
2 tbsp (for the filling)
1 tsp (for the filling)
Amazing Strawberry Shortcake
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C/Gas mark 6). Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine heavy cream, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Whisk. Refrigerate.
- In a food processor, combine all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Pulse until combined. Add the cubed butter. Pulse in the food processor. Add the heavy cream mixture. Pulse until combined.
- Dump the dough onto a floured work surface. Pat the dough out until it's about 1/2-inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter (2 1/2-inch), make biscuits. Pat the remaining dough out to make it 1/2-inch thick. Then, make more biscuits (12 in total).
- Arrange 6 biscuits on the baking sheet. Brush with cream. Top with the remaining biscuits. Brush the tops with cream. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until puffed. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Place the biscuits on a wire rack. Let them cool completely.
- To make the filling: Toss the berries with brown sugar (2 tbsp).
- In a bowl, beat heavy cream, sour cream, brown sugar (2 tbsp), and vanilla extract using a mixer until soft peaks appear.
- Split the cakes in half. Spread 1/2 of the filling on the bottom. Top with the berries. Then, top with the remaining filling. Next, place the biscuits on top. Serve and enjoy your classic Strawberry Shortcakes!