Turkey, neck and giblets removed
1 (18 pound)
2, peeled and chopped
4, peeled and chopped
4 stalks, chopped
Dry white wine
17 h 0 m
17 h 30 m
- Rub the turkey inside and out with salt. Place it in a large stockpot. Cover with cold water. Place the stockpot in the refrigerator and leave there for 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Rinse the bird and discard the brine mixture.
- Brush the bird with 1/2 the butter. Place it (breast side down) on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.
- Stuff the turkey with 1 onion, 1/2 the carrots, 1/2 the celery, bay leaf, and 1 thyme spring.
- Place the remaining vegetables and 1 thyme spring on the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover with white wine.
- Roast for 4 hours until the internal temperature of the thighs reaches 180 °F. Turn the breast side up about 2/3 through the cooking time. Brush with the remaining butter.
- Let it stand for 30 minutes before carving.