Whole wheat flour
1 cup, sifted
Double-acting baking powder
¼ cup, melted + more for serving
1 h 0 m
1 h 0 m
2 h 0 m
- In a large bowl, mix both flours, baking powder and soda plus salt together.
- In another bowl, beat eggs with melted butter, molasses and buttermilk.
- Pour the liquids into the flour mixture, mix well.
- In a large bowl, beat 2 egg whites until stiffened up, but not dry. Fold them very gently into the batter until just blended. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pre-heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add oil.
- Cook the wheat cakes on one side until bubbly, then flip and cook until the down side is slightly browned.
- Repeat until you are out of batter.
- Serve hot, with butter and maple syrup.