12, peeled, veins removed, tail left intact
Unsweetened shredded coconut
Medium egg, beaten slightly
Red pepper flakes
½ tsp, crushed
Rice wine vinegar
Coconut Shrimp with Apricot Sauce
- Mix the 3 final ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Mix breadcrumbs with coconut in a small bowl. Add flour and whisked egg in to other separate small bowls.
- Arrange the bowls in the order: flour, egg, breadcrumbs/coconut.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Add a tbsp of both butter and oil, let heat.
- Take shrimps by the tail and dip them into flour, egg and coconut mixture in turn. Set aside.
- Add 6 shrimps into the pan, cook for 2 minutes per side, flipping once. Don’t crowd the shrimp – you want them to cook through evenly.
- Transfer cooked shrimps onto a paper towel to remove the excess fat.
- Discard the frying fats from the pan. Add new butter and oil, repeat with the remaining 6 shrimps.
- If you want a healthier appetizer, try baking your shrimp: pre-heat oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas Mark 7. Place coated shrimps onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 6 minutes, flip over and cook for 5 to 6 minutes more.