Easy Cornbread in a Skillet
- Preheat oven to 450° F (220° C/Gas mark 8).
- Combine cornmeal, all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir.
- Combine buttermilk and milk in a bowl. Add egg. Stir together. Add baking soda. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Melt 1/4 shortening. Add to the batter. Stir until just combined.
- Melt 2 tbsps shortening in a skillet over medium. Pour the batter into the skillet. Even out the surface of the batter.
- Cook for 1 minute. Then, bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the skillet cornbread is golden brown. Serve and enjoy!