2 1/2 cups
1 stick, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups
1 (20-oz) can
Packed light brown sugar
1 1/3 cups
Stemmed maraschino cherries
Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas mark 4).
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar, butter (1/2 stick), shortening, milk, eggs, vanilla, and juice (2 tbsp). Beat using a mixer until combined.
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium, melt butter. Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter (the entire surface should be covered in sugar evenly). When it dissolves, remove from heat. Layer pineapple on top. If using, arrange the cherries in the centers of the slices.
- Pour the batter over the slices. Spread to even out.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for doneness: insert it in the center and check if it comes out clean.
- Then, run a knife around the edge. Put a plate upside down on top of the skillet. Invert the skillet. Allow to cool slightly. Serve and enjoy your Upside-Down Cake!