Active dry yeast
1/3 cup, softened
2 ½ cups
1/3 cup, cut into quarters
Candied citrus peel
2/3 cup, diced
1 h 0 m
3 h 0 m
4 h 0 m
- Add warm milk into a small bowl. Add yeast, let dissolve for 10 minutes.
- Crack an egg into a large bowl, add yeast mixture, white sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat well until combined well. Add the remaining flour little by little, mix well until incorporated. When the dough pulls together, transfer it onto a dusted work surface; knead in sultanas, currants, cherries and dried citrus peel. Knead for 8 minutes more to get a very smooth dough.
- Place dough into an oiled bowl, smear the top lightly with oil. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let sit in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in volume.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Punch the dough to deflate, transfer onto a dusted work surface, slightly roll out. Roll marzipan to form a rope and place in the center of the dough. Fold the dough over the marzipan, pinch the opposing sides firmly to seal the marzipan inside. Let rest seam side down and covered with the damp towel, while preheating oven to 350°F/180° C/Gas Mark 4.
- When the loaf doubles in volume, pop it in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°F/150°C/Gas Mark 2 and bake for about 40 minutes till the loaf gets golden brown. Let cool and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and cinnamon.