White sugar - 1 cup + 6 tbsp.
1 ½ cup
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
4 eggs, whites separated from yolks, yolks beaten
1 pie crust (9-in sized), baked
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
Lemon Meringue Pie
- While preheating oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4, prepare the filling and the meringue.
- Whisk sugar (1 cup) with flour, salt, and cornstarch in a medium-sized saucepan. Add lemon zest, juice, and water. Bring to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Add butter and mix it in thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks with ½ cup hot mixture – add it in a thin streak, very carefully, otherwise the yolks will curdle. Add the mixture with yolks to the saucepan in a thin streak while whisking vigorously. Once again, bring to a boil while continuing to stir till the mixture gets thicker. Pour the thickened mixture into the pie shell.
- Add egg whites to a metal or glass bowl and whip them till white and foamy. Whisk in sugar by small portions and whip on till the whisker pulls the whites to form stiff peaks when removed from the bowl. Transfer the meringue on top of the filling, make sure you spread it to reach and seal the edges of the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Adjust the time to the readiness of the meringue – it should be golden brown.