- Preheat oven to 375°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter a 8-in square pan
- Add ½ cup butter in a skillet. Remove from heat; stir in sugar and eggs until well blended.
- In a bowl, mix buttermilk with baking soda; add the mixture into the skillet, stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal with all-purpose flour and salt to aerate; add the liquid mixture from the skillet, mix to combine.
- Transfer batter into the buttered pan; bake for half an hour to 40 minutes until the bread passes the toothpick test.