8 tbsps (1 stick), melted
12 slices (12 oz)
6 slices (3 oz)
½ cup, grated
4 cups (1 ¼ lb), halved
Fresh ground black pepper
Fresh parsley (leaves only)
¼ cup, roughly chopped
Grilled Cheese Casserole
1 h 35 m
1 h 65 m
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas Mark 4.
- Smear a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish with melted butter.
- Lay 6 sliced of bread on a sheet lined with baking parchment . Smear the bread generously with butter and toast in the oven until golden brown. Take the baking sheet out of the oven; flip the bread slices buttered side down, top 3 with 2 slices of Cheddar each and the other 3 with 1 slice of Swiss cheese per slice. Return into oven and toast until the cheese melts completely. Make 3 sandwiches (cheese inside) and trim the crusts.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other 6 slices of bread.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with sandwiches (in one layer). Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with ½ tsp salt. Place them on a baking sheet and bake until soft, browned and wrinkled. Scatter the tomatoes on top of the cheesy sandwiches.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, half-and-half, 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt and a couple pinches of black pepper. Pour the mixture over the sandwiches (don’t worry if it does not cover them completely).
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until almost set (about 30 minutes).Toss the foil; bake for 15 minutes more until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.