1 1/2 tsps
1 1/2 tsps
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C/Gas mark 4). Prepare 2 baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Whisk together 1/3 cup sugar, all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsps salt, and baking powder. Cut vegetable shortening into the mixture. Gradually (2 tbsps at a time) stir 1 cup warm water in, until the dough can be gathered together.
- Prepare a work surface by flouring it.
- In the bowl, knead the dough. Scrape the dough out onto the prepared work surface. Cut into quarters. Then, cut each into thirds. Roll the thirds into balls. Cover with a cloth. Let the dough balls rest.
- Meanwhile, mix canned pumpkin, 1 tsp salt, 2 large eggs, 1 cup sugar, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves until smooth.
- Roll dough balls out into a thin circle. Place a spoonful of the pumpkin mix on the center of each empanada circle. Fold the dough over the pumpkin filling. Using a fork, crimp the edges together. Arrange the pies onto the baking sheets. Brush each with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the pumpkin filling is hot and the crusts are browned. Serve either warm or cold and enjoy your Pumpkin Empanadas!