1 3/4 cups
4 1/4 cups (plus for work surface)
5 tbsp, cold
How to Make Real Irish Soda Bread
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C/Gas mark 6). Grease a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg together.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt together. Cut the butter. Work the dough into coarse crumbs. Stir in raisins. Pour into the buttermilk mixture. Fold together until stiff. Lightly flour a work surface. Pour the dough onto it. Work into a ball. Knead for half a minute, or until moistened.
- Transfer to the pan. Score an X into the top of the dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. HALFWAY through, loosely cover with aluminum foil.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Place on the wire rack. Serve and enjoy your traditional Irish Soda Bread!