½ cup + 2 cups
Active dry yeast
1 package (1/4 oz)
½ cup + 6 cups
¾ cup + 2 tbsps, melted
3 eggs, at room temperature + 1 egg, beaten
½ cup, chopped
Lucky New Year Bread
3 h 10 m
3 h 40 m
- Add ½ cup warm milk, ½ cup flour and yeast into a small bowl, mix well. Let stand for 45 minutes in a warm place to prepare sponge.
- When sponge doubles in volume, add the remaining flour into a large bowl. Make a pit in the center and fill it with sponge, sugar, salt, spices, 3 eggs, 2 cups milk and ¾ cup melted butter. Knead with your hands to make stiff dough.
- Place dough into a prepared springform pan, brush with 2 tbsps melted butter. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until the dough rises to double (up to 90 minutes).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas Mark 5 and beat 1 egg with 1 tbsp water to prepare egg wash.
- Insert a silver coin into the risen dough. Brush the bread with egg wash, sprinkle with almonds and pop in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.