Ground beef or lamb
1, large, finely diced
3-4, finely diced
3-4 sprigs, finely chopped
1 large quantity, about 6 cups
Our Classic Shepherd's Pie
- Heat the oven to 400° F/200° C/Gas Mark 6.
- Add carrots to a skillet and sauté in olive oil until they start to get tender.
- Add onions, sauté for 1-2 minutes, and add meat. Season with thyme and black pepper.
- Keep cooking until the meat is brown and drain fat. Add frozen peas and butter.
- Add flour, stir well, then add tomato paste, wine, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for about 1 minute, add chicken stock, and let the dish reduce a bit until the gravy is thick. Season to taste and remove from heat.
- Prepare a 9x13 oven proof dish, grease it with butter, and add the sauce.
- Spoon the mash potatoes over top, brush with the egg, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are brown on the top.
- Serve as it is or with bread to enjoy the sauce.