12 quail eggs
3 thick sausages
1 large egg
Vegetable oil, for frying
Scotch quail eggs
- While preheating oven to 350° F/180° C/Gas Mark 4, boil the quail eggs for 2 minutes. Plunge into cold water and peel carefully.
- Squeeze the sausage meat into a bowl. Discard the skin. Mix in thyme.
- Beat the large egg in a bowl. Put breadcrumbs into another bowl.
- Divide the sausage meat into 12 pieces. Wrap each egg in sausage mixture. Roll each egg in the beaten egg, then in breadcrumbs until they fully coated.
- Fill a deep pan one-third full with oil and heat. Carefully fry the scotch eggs for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden. Do not dry all eggs at once. It’s better to put 3 or 4 eggs at a time.
- Remove the eggs from the pan and drain on paper towel. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes. Slice in half before serving.