2 tbsps + extra for the dish
1 ½ lb
1 ½ tsps
Fresh ground black pepper
Medium onion, small diced
4 cloves, minced
1 can (15 oz), drained, rinsed
Jarred tomato salsa
2 cups + extra for serving
Cheddar cheese + Monterey Jack
3 cups, grated
6 cups (about 5 oz) + extra for serving
1 cup, diced
¼ cup, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C/Gas Mark 5.
- Smear a baking dish with oil.
- In a large skillet, pre-heat oil over high heat. Add beef; season it with chili, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, breaking the beef into small pieces. Mix in onions and garlic; cook for 5 more minutes. Add beans, salsa and ½ cup of water; bring to simmer and cook until the sauce has thickened and coated the beef.
- Spread half the tortilla chips in the baking dish; top them with half the meat mixture; spread evenly. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat.
- Bake uncovered until the cheese melts (about 20 minutes).
- Serve hot, with more chips on the side, more salsa and/or toppings (see the Optional section of the Ingredients).