1 box (5 oz)
Smooth peanut butter
White cake decorating gel
1 small tube
4 tbsps, room temperature
Make Spider Cookies
- Adjust oven racks to the upper and lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C/Gas mark 5). Using parchment paper, prepare two cookie sheets.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (medium-high speed, about 3 minutes). Add vanilla extract and egg. Mix until combined. Add peanut butter. Mix until creamy. Turn the speed down to low. Add 1/2 the flour mixture. Beat on medium speed until incorporated. Turn the speed of the mixer to low and add the remaining flour mixture. On medium speed, beat until incorporated.
- Roll into 1-inch balls. Arrange the cookies on the cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through, until golden brown and firm when pressed.
- Melt semisweet chocolate over a double boiler. Let it cool until slightly thickened.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Push 1 candy into each cookie.
- Put the melted chocolate in a plastic bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag. Pipe 8 spider legs on each cookie. Reserve some chocolate for pupils.
- Using decorating gel, pipe two 1/4-inch circles on spiders. To make pupils, pipe a dot of melted chocolate in the center of each circle.