4 (6 oz each, 1-inch thick)
Steak au Poivre
- Remove the meat from the fridge for 30 min before cooking. Season with salt.
- Crush the peppercorns with the bottom of a cast-iron skillet. Spread onto a plate. Press the meat into the pepper to coat.
- Melt butter and oil in a skillet over medium. When they begin to smoke, add the steaks. Cook for 4 minutes per side. Place the steaks on a plate. Tent with foil. Pour off the excess fat.
- Remove the skillet from heat. Add Cognac (1/3 cup). With a match, ignite the cognac and shake the pan. Be careful!
- Then, return to medium heat. Add cream. Bring to a boil. Whisk for 5 minutes, or until coats the back of a spoon. Add the remaining Cognac. Add salt to taste. Add the meat. Spoon the sauce over the steaks. Serve and enjoy your Steak au Poivre!