7 1/2 tbsp (divided)
2, peeled, cut into thin strips
Beef (sirloin steak)
1 lb, cut 1/4-inch thick and 3 inches long
1 tbsp, minced
2 (white parts), cut into thin shreds
Roasted Szechuan peppercorns
1/2 tsp (optional)
Chinese Szechuan Beef
- Combine hoisin sauce and chili paste in a bowl.
- Heat a wok over medium-high for half a minute. Add oil (1 1/2 tbsp). Add carrots when the oil is hot. Fry for 2 minutes, stirring in salt. Remove the cooked carrots from the wok.
- Add more oil (6 tbsp). Add beef when the oil is hot. Fry for 9 minutes, or until crispy and brown. Splash the beef with dry sherry. Keep frying for 1 minute more.
- Push the meat up to the sides. Drain, reserving 2 tbsp. Add the hoisin sauce mixture. Fry, stirring, for several seconds.
- Add minced ginger and scallions. Fry for several seconds, or until fragrant. Add the carrots.
- Add sugar. Add peppercorns if using. Serve and enjoy your spicy Szechuan Beef!