ground pork sausage
sweet onions, peeled and chopped
green bell peppers, chopped
red bell peppers, chopped
fresh mushrooms, sliced
ground black pepper
white bread, torn into pieces
Tom Szaller's Great Pan or Bird Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Place sausage in a large Dutch oven. Cook over medium high heat, stirring to crumble, until evenly brown. Drain.
- Add the bacon to the sausage along with the onions, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, mushrooms, butter, pepper, celery salt, seasoning salt, poultry seasoning, basil, garlic powder and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 10 to 20 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Gradually place the bread into the mixture, thoroughly blending until all pieces are coated. Transfer to a large baking dish or two medium baking dishes.
- Bake in the preheated oven 40 to 60 minutes, or until the top begins to brown.