2 c. wholemeal flour
2 tbsp. raw brown sugar
¼ c. olive oil
½ tsp. dried lavender, chopped (optional)
½ tsp. salt
½ c. ice water with ice cubes in
2 lb. plums
1/3 c. brown sugar + more, for sprinkling
1 heaping tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
zest of 1 lemon
Pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp. cinnamon
Wholemeal Crust Plum Galette
1 h 20 m
2 h 0 m
3 h 20 m
- In a large bowl, mix flour with sugar, salt, and lavender (if using).
- Add olive oil in a thin streak while mixing with a fork. Continue mixing until crumbly.
- Pour water slowly into the crumbly mixture while still mixing with a fork until just absorbed.
- Remove dough from the bowl; knead with one hand just until you can squeeze the dough into a ball that holds its shape. Once it does, stop kneading, or your dough will be too firm.
- Place a piece of baking parchment on the work surface; lightly dust with flour. Divide the dough in two halves, place one on the parchment, and roll out to an imperfect circle with a thickness of 1/8 inch. Turn the dough while rolling it out to prevent sticking. Place the dough circle into the fridge for half an hour.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
Filling and Assembly:
- Preheat oven to 425°F220°C/Gas Mark 7.
- Slice the plums.
- In a large bowl, toss plum slices with sugar, salt, flour, and any or all of the optional ingredients until every slice is coated. Let sit for 10 minutes; drain any juices the plums have given.
- Remove one crust from the fridge.
- Pile ½ of the plum filling in the center of the circle, spread slightly. Fold the edges over the filling in a somewhat sloppy manner.
- Brush the edges with egg wash; generously sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Repeat with the other dough circle and the remaining filling.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the edges are deep golden brown, with no pale spots.
- Let cool till warm and slice up. Serve topped with a dollop of crème fraiche or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.