Breakfast: Easter Bread Ring
active dry yeast
eggs, room temperature
mixed candied fruit
chopped blanched almonds
multicolored sprinkles (jimmies)
- Color the 5 eggs with egg dye. In a large mixing bowl, blend the white sugar, salt, and yeast well with 1 cup of the flour.
- In a saucepan, combine 2/3 cup milk and butter, heating slowly until liquid is warm and butter is melted. Pour the milk into the dry ingredients and beat 125 strokes with a wooden spoon. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour or enough to make a thick batter. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes. Stir in enough flour to make a ball of dough that draws away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead for about 10 minutes, working in additional flour to overcome stickiness. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and put in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the fruit, nuts, and anise seed.
- Punch down the dough and return it to a lightly floured board. Knead in the fruit mixture, keeping the syrupy pieces dusted with flour until they are worked into the dough. Divide the dough in half.
- Carefully roll each piece into a 24-inch rope--the fruit and nuts will make this slightly difficult. Loosely twist the two ropes together and form a ring on a greased baking sheet. Pinch the ends together well. Brush the dough with melted shortening. Push aside the twist to make a place for each egg. Push eggs down carefully as far as possible. Cover the bread with wax paper and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a twist comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once the bread is cool, drizzle the icing on top between the eggs, and decorate with colored sprinkles. To make icing: mix together confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon whole milk, and vanilla.
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.