Breakfast: Malasadas Dois
active dry yeast
butter or margarine, melted
vegetable oil for deep-frying
white sugar for decoration
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 5 minutes to dissolve.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and 1 cup of sugar until sugar has completely dissolved. Stir in the salt and flour. Mix in the yeast mixture, milk and melted butter. A wooden spoon works well for this. Cover and set in a warm place to rise until doubled.
- Once the dough has doubled, punch down and knead a bit - a lot if you want. The dough should be elastic. Cover and allow to rise again. If you like, you may refrigerate overnight. My grandmother would let it rise overnight, and hers were amazing. When the dough has doubled, it is ready to use.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large deep skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Set a small dish of water to the side for wetting your hands slightly before touching the dough. This will help it keep from sticking. Only wet your hands a little, excess water dripping in the hot oil is very dangerous.
- With slightly wet hands, gather a small ball of dough about the size of a golf ball. Stretch the dough out a little bit while turning around until you have a disc about 4 inches wide. If you mess up, just throw it back in with the other dough, and start over. Tiny holes are fine.
- Carefully place the stretched dough into the hot oil. The doughnuts should puff up a bit as they hit the oil. Cook for about 3 minutes per side. They are done when they are golden brown. Remove from the oil using a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Coat with white sugar while still hot. Serve warm.
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.