Chicken: Smoky Mountain Chipotle Chicken
liquid smoke flavoring
chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
grill seasoning, or to taste
bacon, cut in half
thick slices red onion
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion; cook and stir until the onion softens and turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the bourbon, and simmer for 10 minutes. Have a lid ready to cover the skillet in case the bourbon catches fire.
- Pour in the cider vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, minced chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Pour sauce into a bowl, and refrigerate until no longer hot, about 30 minutes.
- Season chicken breasts with grill seasoning, and place into a shallow glass dish. Pour all but 1 cup of the cooled sauce over the chicken breasts, and turn to coat. Refrigerate remaining sauce. Cover the chicken and refrigerate 2 hours. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, and set aside.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Drain marinade from the chicken and discard. Cook chicken on preheated grill, basting with reserved sauce, until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, and the juices run clear, about 10 minutes per side. Meanwhile, brush onion slices with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Secure the rings with toothpicks to keep them from falling apart. Grill over indirect heat until soft, about 15 minutes.
- To serve, place chicken onto serving plates and top with a slice grilled onion, 2 slices of bacon and then a slice of provolone cheese. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.