The list if ingredients may be scary long, but the ample flavor of this lasagna is totally worth the trouble!
Sweet Italian sausage
Lean ground beef
1 can (28 oz.)
2 6-oz cans
Canned tomato sauce
2 6.5-oz cans
1 ½ tsp.
1 tbsp. + ½ tsp.
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped
Mozzarella cheese, sliced
Parmesan cheese, grated
- Add Italian sausage, ground beef, minced garlic and onion to a Dutch oven. Cook stirring over medium-high heat until fully cooked and well browned.
- Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and water; stir well. Stir in sugar, fennel and basil, 1 tbsp. salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and half the parsley. Cover with a lid, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to make the mixture simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours; give an occasional stir.
- Cook lasagna noodles in a large pot of boiling water for about 8 minutes, Drain, rinse with cold water, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta with egg, the other half of parsley, and ½ tsp. salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Add about 1 ½ cups of the meat mixture to the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, spread evenly. Cover with 6 noodles. Spoon half of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles, spread evenly. Cover with 1/3 Mozzarella slices.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of the meat mixture on top of the Mozzarella, sprinkle with 1.4 cup grated Parmesan.
- Repeat the layers: meat mixture, noodles, ricotta mixture, meat mixture. Top with the remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil (brush it lightly with oil to prevent sticking).
- Bake for 25 minutes, remove foil, bake for 25 minutes more. Remove from oven, let cool slightly (about 15 minutes) and serve.
Support TastyCookery project and get TastyTales for freeSupport project
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.