(cooking time: 12 raw shrimp, peeled, veins removed, tail left intact
- Dry breadcrumbs – ¼ cup
- Unsweetened shredded coconut – ¼ cup
- All-purpose flour – 2 tbsps
- 1 medium egg, beaten slightly
- Butter – 2 tbsps
- Olive oil – 2 tbsps
- Apricot jam – ½ cup
- Red pepper flakes – ½ tsp, crushed
- Rice wine vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Mix the 3 final ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- Mix breadcrumbs with coconut in a small bowl. Add flour and whisked egg in to other separate small bowls.
- Arrange the bowls in the order: flour, egg, breadcrumbs/coconut.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Add a tbsp of both butter and oil, let heat.
- Take shrimps by the tail and dip them into flour, egg and coconut mixture in turn. Set aside.
- Add 6 shrimps into the pan, cook for 2 minutes per side, flipping once. Don’t crowd the shrimp – you want them to cook through evenly.
- Transfer cooked shrimps onto a paper towel to remove the excess fat.
- Discard the frying fats from the pan. Add new butter and oil, repeat with the remaining 6 shrimps.
- If you want a healthier appetizer, try baking your shrimp: pre-heat oven to 425°F/220°C/Gas Mark 7. Place coated shrimps onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 6 minutes, flip over and cook for 5 to 6 minutes more.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.