- 1 cup ripe strawberries - cleaned, hulled and diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place diced strawberries on paper towels to absorb liquid. Combine the cream with the vanilla extract in a small pitcher, and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and lemon zest together in a mixing bowl. Cut the cold butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse, pea-sized crumbs. Stir in strawberries, and gently toss ingredients. Make a hole in the middle of the flour mixture; pour cream mixture into the hole. Quickly stir dough together until just blended. Allow dough to rest 2 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; and knead until smooth and satiny, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and pat into an 8-inch round. Use a serrated knife to cut the round into 8 wedge-shaped pieces. Separate wedges on the baking sheet, leaving at least 1/2 inch space between each.
- Bake in preheated oven until tops are light brown and crusty, 16 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool 20 minutes before serving.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.