- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch round pan. Sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and molasses. Add flour mixture and water. Beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and serve warm.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.