(cooking time: 1 hour; 8 servings)
- Buckwheat flour - 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup, sifted
- Double-acting baking powder – 2 tsps
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Buttermilk – 2 cups
- Molasses – 2 tsps
- 2 medium eggs + 2 egg whites
- Butter – ¼ cup, melted + more for serving
- Maple syrup – for serving
- In a large bowl, mix both flours, baking powder and soda plus salt together.
- In another bowl, beat eggs with melted butter, molasses and buttermilk.
- Pour the liquids into the flour mixture, mix well.
- In a large bowl, beat 2 egg whites until stiffened up, but not dry. Fold them very gently into the batter until just blended. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pre-heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add oil.
- Cook the wheat cakes on one side until bubbly, then flip and cook until the down side is slightly browned.
- Repeat until you are out of batter.
- Serve hot, with butter and maple syrup.