(cooking time: 2 hr; yields 2 dozen cookies)
- Unsalted butter – 2 sticks ( 1 cup)
- Powdered sugar – ½ cup
- All-purpose flour – 2 cups, sifted
- Kosher salt – ¼ tsp
- Start with preheating oven to 300°F/150°C/Gas Mark 2.
- Add butter to a small skillet, let melt over medium heat. Continue heating and stirring until begins to brown. It will take about 6 minutes, but make sure it does not burn. Use a fine sieve to strain browned butter into a small bowl, cover and chill for 30 minutes until sets to firm.
- Beat chilled butter with powdered sugar using an electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes. The mixture should become creamy and paler in color.
- Turn the mixer speed down to low; beat in sifted flour and salt until just blended. Make sure you do not overbeat.
- Line the working surface with paper parchment. Place dough on parchment, top with another sheet of parchment and roll out keeping a rectangular shape to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Remove top parchment sheet. Transfer the dough onto a rimmed baking sheet together with the bottom sheet of parchment.
- Pierce the dough rectangle with a fork at 1-in intervals. Bake for 30 minutes, rotate, bake for 30 minutes more until firm and golden-brown.
- Cut into strips and then crosswise into thirds while still warm. Set aside to cool to room temperature.