Tested and approved by TastyCookery cooks!
(cooking time: 40 min; hands-on time: 15 min)
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 6 eggs, beaten slightly (reserve a little to make egg wash for brushing)
- Mushrooms – ½ lb, sliced
- Ham – ½ lb, small diced
- Cheddar cheese – 4 oz, shredded
- Fresh dill – 1 small bunch (optional), finely chopped
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper – to taste
- All-purpose flour – 1 tbsp or more, for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Sautee mushrooms in butter in a skillet over medium-high heat till lightly browned.
- Add ham, cook for 3 more minutes.
- Reserve a little of the beaten eggs for brushing.
- Add shredded Cheddar and dill to beaten eggs, whisk slightly to combine.
- Pour eggs over mushrooms and ham, cook stirring for 4 more minutes. Scrape the bottom and the sides of the skillet to prevent eggs from sticking.
- Lightly dust the working surface with all-purpose flour.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet to make a rectangle. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cut the dough moving from the sides to the middle diagonally, leaving a wide space in the middle intact. Repeat on the other side. Make the same number of cuts!
- Place scrambled eggs in the intact space in the middle of the dough sheet. Fold the cut ends over the middle to cover the filling, one on the left, then one the right, as if making a braid.
- Brush with reserved egg, pop in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly, slice and serve.