This delicious poppy seed roll is perfect for holidays!
¾ cup + 2 tbsps, divided
1 tbsp, melted + ¼ cup
Active dry yeast
1 package (1/4 oz)
½ cup (100° F/38° C)
2 cups + more, if needed
- Grind the poppy seeds in a food processor for 1 minute.
- Transfer ground seeds into a bowl. Mix with ¾ cup sugar, 1 tbsp butter, lemon juice, and hot milk until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you are making the dough. The filling will thicken when chilled.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast with warm water and 2 tbsps of sugar. Let sit until a creamy layer of yeast appears.
- Add flour and salt into another bowl, whisk to combine. Cut in ¼ cup butter until you get dough crumbs.
- Add yeast mixture into the flour mixture, stir to combine. Mix in 1 egg yolk and stir until you get soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a surface dusted with flour for about 5 minutes until it gets smooth and elastic. Feel free to knead in more flour if the dough is still sticky, but add it in small batches, say, 2 tbsps at a time.
- Cut the dough in half; roll the halves out separately on a dusted surface into 2 12x16-in rectangles.
- Top each rectangle with the poppy filling, spread evenly. Fold an inch of dough on each side of both rectangles over the filling toward the center of the rectangle and press firmly.
- Starting from the shorter side of each rectangle, roll them like jelly rolls. Pinch the loose end to the roll and also pinch both spiral ends together to keep the filling inside.
- Place both rolls seam down onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Let sit for about an hour in a warm place till doubled in size. At some moment during the hour, start preheating your oven to 350°F/180° C/Gas Mark 4.
- Beat the egg white till foamy and brush the roll tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the tops become dark golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cover with a tea towel to prevent the crust from drying out. Let cool completely before you slice the rolls up.
Support TastyCookery project and get TastyTales for freeSupport project
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.