(Cooking time: 3 hr; 10 servings)
- Active dry yeast – 2 ¼ tsps.
- Warm water – 1 ½ cups, 110 degrees F/45 degrees C
- White sugar – ½ cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- 2 eggs
- Evaporated milk – 1 cup
- All-purpose flour – 7 cups
- Shortening ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil (for frying) – 1 quart
- Confectioners’ sugar – ¼ cup
- Put yeast in a deep bowl to dissolve it in warm water. Combine with salt, eggs, sugar, and milk. Stir well until homogeneous.
- Stir in 4 cups of the flour, then beat well. Before you add the remaining flour, mix in the shortening. Put to the refrigerator for about 24 hours.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out. It should be no more than 1/8 inch thick. Make 2,5-inch squares. Put the squares into hot oil (360 degree F/180 degrees C). When golden-brown, put them on paper towels that will sop up the excess oil.
- Decorate with confectioners’ sugar while hot. Beignets are tastier when served warm.
Other Dessert recipes