- Cake flour – 1 1/4 cup
- Baking powder – ½ tsps
- Kosher salt – ¼ tsp
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Unsalted butter ½ cup
- Kaster sugar – ¾ cup + 2 tbsps
- Strawberry preserves – ½ cup
- 2 medium eggs
- Vanilla extract – ¼ tsp
- Red food coloring – 1/8 tsp
- Buttermilk – ¼ cup
- Heavy cream – 1 ¾ cups
- Fresh strawberries – 1 ½ pint (1 lb)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 9-inch cake pan with baking parchment. Smear with butter, dust with flour; tap the excess out. Set aside.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat the butter with 1 ½ cups sugar until fluffy (if using a mixer, set it to medium-high speed).
- Mix the strawberry preserves and eggs in (one ingredient at a time) to combine well.
- Beat in red coloring and vanilla extract.
- Change the speed to low; mix in the dry mixture and buttermilk (divide both by thirds and alternate to let combine well).
- Pour batter into the cake pan; even out.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes (until the toothpick poked in the center of the cake comes out clean).
- Transfer to a wire rack to let cool completely.
- Assemble the cake:
- Beat the heavy cream with 2 tablespoons of caster sugar to soft peaks; cover the cake, spread evenly.
- Top with strawberries (use your fantasy here!). Serve immediately.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.
Other Dessert recipes