(cooking time: 3 hr 10 min; 8 servings)
- Warm milk – ½ cup + 2 cups
- Active dry yeast – 1 package (1/4 oz)
- Bread flour – ½ cup + 6 cups
- Salt – ½ tsp
- White sugar – ½ cup
- Ground cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Ground nutmeg – ½ tsp
- Butter – ¾ cup + 2 tbsps, melted
- 3 eggs, at room temperature + 1 egg, beaten
- Water – 1 tbsp
- Almonds – ½ cup, chopped
- Add ½ cup warm milk, ½ cup flour and yeast into a small bowl, mix well. Let stand for 45 minutes in a warm place to prepare sponge.
- When sponge doubles in volume, add the remaining flour into a large bowl. Make a pit in the center and fill it with sponge, sugar, salt, spices, 3 eggs, 2 cups milk and ¾ cup melted butter. Knead with your hands to make stiff dough.
- Place dough into a prepared springform pan, brush with 2 tbsps melted butter. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until the dough rises to double (up to 90 minutes).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas Mark 5 and beat 1 egg with 1 tbsp water to prepare egg wash.
- Insert a silver coin into the risen dough. Brush the bread with egg wash, sprinkle with almonds and pop in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Other Dessert recipes