The beauty of this famous Brazilian steak dish is its simplicity and flavor!
Tri-tip roast (2-4 lb)
- Use a meat mallet and a fabric bag to pound the salt; the biggest pieces should have the size of rice.
- Mix the salt, the garlic, and the oil.
- Make several criss-cross cuts on the fatty layer of the picanha.
- Make cuts on the meat against the grain in case you want to cook it with grill skewers. Picanha is a very large piece of meat and should be cut beforehand.
If you want to cook picanha on a big skewer:
- There are fibers that run diagonally through the picanha. Cut the meat in 3 pieces on a angle perpendicular to these fibers.
- Take a big oiled skewer, bend the picanha pieces into semicircles with the fat on the outside, and put the meat pieces on the skewer. Such a method will let you slice off the tender pieces without removing picanha from the skewer. Then in case you rub the rest of the meat with more salt and grill it a bit more each new slice will be as salty and crusty as the first one.
If you want to cook picanha in steaks:
- Cut the meat with the grain.
- Roll the picanha pieces in rock salt.
- Grill the meat pieces for several minutes with the fat side up until there is some juice on the top of the steaks. Then turn the steaks on their sides and grill a bit more.
- Remove the meat from the hottest part of the grill not to let it overcook, and grill it fat-side down. Check the readiness of your steak with a finger poke.
- Remove the picanha pieces from the grill, and knock off extra salt with the side of a knife. Leave the meat for several minutes before slicing it.
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.