Classic comfort food turns into a casserole for a crowd in this Grilled Cheese Casserole recipe.
8 tbsps (1 stick), melted
12 slices (12 oz)
6 slices (3 oz)
½ cup, grated
4 cups (1 ¼ lb), halved
Fresh ground black pepper
2 large eggs
Fresh parsley (leaves only)
¼ cup, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas Mark 4.
- Smear a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish with melted butter.
- Lay 6 sliced of bread on a sheet lined with baking parchment . Smear the bread generously with butter and toast in the oven until golden brown. Take the baking sheet out of the oven; flip the bread slices buttered side down, top 3 with 2 slices of Cheddar each and the other 3 with 1 slice of Swiss cheese per slice. Return into oven and toast until the cheese melts completely. Make 3 sandwiches (cheese inside) and trim the crusts.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other 6 slices of bread.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with sandwiches (in one layer). Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with ½ tsp salt. Place them on a baking sheet and bake until soft, browned and wrinkled. Scatter the tomatoes on top of the cheesy sandwiches.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, half-and-half, 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt and a couple pinches of black pepper. Pour the mixture over the sandwiches (don’t worry if it does not cover them completely).
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until almost set (about 30 minutes).Toss the foil; bake for 15 minutes more until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
You might also like
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.