Classic comfort food turns into a casserole for a crowd in this Grilled Cheese Casserole recipe.
8 tbsps (1 stick), melted
12 slices (12 oz)
6 slices (3 oz)
½ cup, grated
4 cups (1 ¼ lb), halved
Fresh ground black pepper
2 large eggs
Fresh parsley (leaves only)
¼ cup, roughly chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas Mark 4.
- Smear a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish with melted butter.
- Lay 6 sliced of bread on a sheet lined with baking parchment . Smear the bread generously with butter and toast in the oven until golden brown. Take the baking sheet out of the oven; flip the bread slices buttered side down, top 3 with 2 slices of Cheddar each and the other 3 with 1 slice of Swiss cheese per slice. Return into oven and toast until the cheese melts completely. Make 3 sandwiches (cheese inside) and trim the crusts.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other 6 slices of bread.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with sandwiches (in one layer). Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with ½ tsp salt. Place them on a baking sheet and bake until soft, browned and wrinkled. Scatter the tomatoes on top of the cheesy sandwiches.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, half-and-half, 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt and a couple pinches of black pepper. Pour the mixture over the sandwiches (don’t worry if it does not cover them completely).
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until almost set (about 30 minutes).Toss the foil; bake for 15 minutes more until golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Spicy Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
Jalapenos are stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped with bacon, and barbe
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This is an awesome spin on a plain grilled cheese sandwich. Feel free
Orzo Salad with Feta and Tomato
A cold pasta salad with orzo, green olives, feta cheese, parsley, dill
Grilled Lemon Herb Pork Chops
These are SO SIMPLE, yet so good - they taste just like steak! The cho
Grandma's Green Bean Casserole
This recipe is much better than the standard mushroom soup and French
Three Cheese Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
If you love cheese and love potatoes you'll adore this delicious recip
Top-Notch Spaghetti and Meatballs
This authentic spaghetti and meatballs recipe is made with fresh orega
Beef Stroganoff with Mushrooms
I have been making this recipe for over 20 years. This can be served o
Creamy Shrimp and Scallop Pasta
When planning your next brunch, keep this recipe in mind. It has shrim
Greek Chicken Burgers with Feta
These Greek-style chicken burgers surprise with a feta cheese filling.
Spinach Pomegranate Salad with Feta
A very quick and nutritious salad made with pomegranate seeds and feta
Effortless Chicken and Dumplings
This is an easy slow cooker recipe that cooks while you are at work! I
Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
A great alternative to pumpkin pie, especially for those cheesecake fa
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Russet potatoes are blended with roasted garlic, butter and milk. This
Mouth-Watering Stuffed Mushrooms
These delicious mushrooms taste just like restaurant-style stuffed mus
Traditional Greek Spanakopita
This is an authentic, really rich pie stuffed with spinach, onions, ch
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios
I had never tried Brussels sprouts before I tasted this recipe, and im
Easy Slow Cooker Egg Casserole
Great recipe for our Thanksgiving brunch. It smelled so wonderful to w
Bacon, Egg and Cheese Sandwiches
Breakfast ready in 30 minutes! Enjoy these delicious crescent shape sa
Eggplant and Pepper Parmesan Sandwiches
Smoky grilled veggies, rich tapenade, and tangy goat cheese make these
Healthier Garlic Chicken Parmesan
A wonderful baked chicken recipe that's quick and easy! Using just a f
Melt-in-Your-Mouth Stuffed Strawberries
Yum, yum! Sometimes I add some finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate. T
Divine Scallops in Wine Sauce
This is a fabulous and easy wine and butter sauce for seafood and vege
Okra, Chicken and Rice Casserole
The okra plant was brought to America's South by Ethiopian slaves. The
Filo Pockets with Shrimp and Ricotta Filling
I have been working with various stuffing for phyllo. This is by far t
Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
These fried cheese sticks are very easy to prepare and sooo good. Enjo
Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole
This is a favorite family recipe that I ate quite a bit of when I was
Fantastic Halibut with Rice Wine
This is a great way to prepare halibut, cod, sea bass, or salmon. Ser
Quick Pasta with Spinach and Bacon
This is a quick light meal. Wilted spinach, bacon and tomatoes are tos
You might also like
Rate & Review