Black Bean, Sausage, and Sweet Potato Soup
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dry black beans
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 3 green onions
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a 4 quart saucepan, combine beans, garlic, bay leaf, allspice, broth and 5 1/2 cups water. Cook, partially covered, until beans are tender, about 50 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- In a blender puree 1 cup cooked beans with 1 cup cooking liquid, and return to pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together tomato paste and 1 tablespoon water; stir into beans with sausage and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer soup, covered, for 15 minutes. Soup may be prepared up to this point 3 days ahead.
- While soup is simmering, peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch pieces. Steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir potatoes, 3 chopped scallions, and salt and pepper to taste into soup. Serve soup garnished with scallion greens.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.