- 2 cups dry black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 quart cold water, or as needed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- In a medium stockpot, combine soaked beans (see Editor's Note), water, onion, green pepper, garlic, bay leaves, salt, cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Stir occasionally and add water as necessary so that the beans don't dry out or scorch.
- When beans are tender, stir in wine, vinegar, and olive oil.