- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 5 peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cumin seed and cook until they start to pop, 20 to 45 seconds. Stir in onion, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with turmeric, cayenne, garam masala, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Puree the mixture with the tomatoes in a blender until smooth. Return the puree to the saucepan, and add the chicken. Simmer gently until the chicken has cooked, about 20 minutes; add water as needed while cooking to maintain desired consistency.