- Dried yellow split peas – 2 1/2 cups
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- Salt – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Grated fresh ginger root – 1/2 teaspoon
- Diced jalapeno chile pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Diced tomatoes – 1/2 cup
- Onion, diced – 1
- Lemon juice – 3 teaspoons
- Ground turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil – 2 teaspoons
- Cumin seed – 1 teaspoon
- Dried red chile pepper – 1/2
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Garlic, finely chopped – 2 cloves
- Chopped fresh cilantro – 1/4 cup
- Wash split peas; leave in 2 1/2 cups water to soak for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring split peas and water to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender and thickened. Add more water, if necessary, to prevent drying out. Add ginger, jalapeno pepper, diced tomatoes and onion, lemon juice and turmeric.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan and add cumin seed and red chili pepper. When pepper is heated mix in Asafoetida and garlic. Stir mixture into split peas and add cilantro; mix well.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.