(cooking time: 1 hr 30 min; 5 servings)
- Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tbsps + 2 tsps (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- Carrots – 1 cup, peeled, diced
- Parsnips – 1 cup, peeled, diced
- Pumpkin puree – 1 cup (canned)
- Vegetable broth – 4 cups
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper – to taste
- Dried cilantro – ½ tsp
- Garlic – 1 clove, minced
- Fresh parsley – 3 tbsps, chopped
- Paprika – 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Add olive oil to a pot to preheat. Add onions; cook stirring until tender and translucent. Add parsnips and carrots, cover and let cook until lightly softened (5 minutes).
- Add pumpkin and broth, bring to simmer, cook covered on low until tender (about half an hour).
- Add lemon juice, season with cilantro, salt, and pepper; taste to adjust seasonings. Set aside to let cool.
- With an immersion blender, smoothen the soup or do it in batches in a food processor. Adjust the thickness of the soup with more water, if necessary. Heat the pureed soup through.
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil with minced garlic and parsley over low heat for a couple of minutes. Stir in paprika. Serve the soup with a teaspoon of garnish on top.