These meat pies are very popular in Lithuania. They will also be your family fave - just cook once!
1 lb. + 1 tbsp.
3 tbsp. + 1 tbsp.
Freshly ground black pepper
- Separate 1 egg into yolk and white. Save the yolk for later.
- Beat 2 eggs and 1 egg white with 3 tbsp. sour cream and ½ tsp. salt. Stir in softened margarine.
- Add flour in small batches and knead the dough with your hands. Do not add too much flour – the dough is ready when it is elastic but still a little sticky. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and let sit in the fridge for anything from an hour to overnight. If you are in a hurry, you can pop it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- When your dough has chilled enough, prepare the filling. Mix pork mince with sour cream and dried marjoram, season with salt and pepper (the average amount is 2/3 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. ground black pepper). Finely chop the onions and mix them into the meat. Mix very well to thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
- Turn on the oven to preheat to 400°F/200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Take a piece of dough (the size depends on whether you want small pastries or bigger ones) and roll it out really thinly. Use a cup to cut out a circle. Place 1 tbsp. of the meat filling in the center in a somewhat oblong shape to get the authentic pastry shape in the end. Fold the circle in half to get a half-moon and press the folded sides together. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Watch the amount of the filling; adjust if you see it won’t be enough for all the dough.
- Grease a baking tray with margarine. Arrange the pastries in the baking sheet about an inch apart from each other. Pinch the folded sides of each pastry together with your fingers, twisting slightly to make the braid-like seal.
- Beat egg yolk with a tbsp. of water and lightly brush the pastries. Bake for about half an hour or until golden brown. Enjoy hot or cold.
You might also like
Rate & Review
Thank you for visiting TastyCookery!
Pick your gift now!
Pick your gift now!
You can choose any number of gifts, from 1 to 3.
Quick & Easy chicken recipes for those who want their dinner to be special!
Simple recipes, yummy pics, and an incredible dessert for your sunny morning!
Tasty Tales Magazine
Our exclusive seasonal recipe collection for you to cook fantastic dishes every day!
By receiving (a) gift (s), you confirm that you’re now a part of TastyCookery culinary community and agree to get quick and easy daily recipes by email.