These meat pies are very popular in Lithuania. They will also be your family fave - just cook once!
1 lb. + 1 tbsp.
3 tbsp. + 1 tbsp.
Freshly ground black pepper
- Separate 1 egg into yolk and white. Save the yolk for later.
- Beat 2 eggs and 1 egg white with 3 tbsp. sour cream and ½ tsp. salt. Stir in softened margarine.
- Add flour in small batches and knead the dough with your hands. Do not add too much flour – the dough is ready when it is elastic but still a little sticky. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film and let sit in the fridge for anything from an hour to overnight. If you are in a hurry, you can pop it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- When your dough has chilled enough, prepare the filling. Mix pork mince with sour cream and dried marjoram, season with salt and pepper (the average amount is 2/3 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. ground black pepper). Finely chop the onions and mix them into the meat. Mix very well to thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
- Turn on the oven to preheat to 400°F/200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Take a piece of dough (the size depends on whether you want small pastries or bigger ones) and roll it out really thinly. Use a cup to cut out a circle. Place 1 tbsp. of the meat filling in the center in a somewhat oblong shape to get the authentic pastry shape in the end. Fold the circle in half to get a half-moon and press the folded sides together. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Watch the amount of the filling; adjust if you see it won’t be enough for all the dough.
- Grease a baking tray with margarine. Arrange the pastries in the baking sheet about an inch apart from each other. Pinch the folded sides of each pastry together with your fingers, twisting slightly to make the braid-like seal.
- Beat egg yolk with a tbsp. of water and lightly brush the pastries. Bake for about half an hour or until golden brown. Enjoy hot or cold.
Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Glaze
If you're looking for a new addition to your holiday dessert table, I
Pork Chops with Caramelized Onion
Caramelized onions give the flavor to these easy to make pork chops -
Absolute Best Liver and Onions
This recipe will turn liver haters into converts. Very simple! The th
Easy Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
Simple sweet and sour topping for slow cooker pork chops.
Best Ever Slow Cooker Italian Beef Roast
Best tender and juicy pot roast you've ever eaten! Also great sliced u
Outrageously Good Grapefruit Salad
'Outrageously Good?' I'm not kidding. So simple to make, but the combi
4-Ingredient Pulled Pork Barbeque
Cooking the pork loin alone is too dry. Add country-style pork ribs in
Hoisin Sauce Pork Tenderloins
A delicious and easy to prepare marinade consisting of ingredients tha
Pork Chops and Scalloped Potatoes
This is the greatest recipe I was ever given. It is a family favorite
Effortless Chicken and Dumplings
This is an easy slow cooker recipe that cooks while you are at work! I
Sauteed Green Cabbage With Onions
Delicate Napa cabbage is extremely rich in folate. It’s best eaten fre
Filo Pockets with Shrimp and Ricotta Filling
I have been working with various stuffing for phyllo. This is by far t
Melt-in-Your-Mouth Coconut Macaroons
This recipe has won many 1st place ribbons at my state fair. They are
The Easiest Chicken Salad Ever
This is the best chicken salad I have ever had in my life and it is so
Upside Down Pear Gingerbread Cake
Delicious, yet easy to make. The perfect dessert for a Thanksgiving or
Fall Pork Roast with Sauerkraut
This is the traditional New Year's Day meal I learned from my husband,
Beer Sausage with Onions and Pepper
This is an excellent recipe I came up with one day. Serve with some ni
Grilled Lemon Herb Pork Chops
These are SO SIMPLE, yet so good - they taste just like steak! The cho
Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
These fried cheese sticks are very easy to prepare and sooo good. Enjo
Easy and Elegant Pork Tenderloin
This main dish is beautiful in its presentation and always comes out t
Caramelized Onion and Gorgonzola Pizza
A light appetizer or dinner pizza that is sure to be a favorite!
Slow Cooker Beef with Mushrooms
The real secret here is making sure you sear the meat before the long,
Asparagus and Mushroom Puff Pastry Pie
A delicious pie with asparagus, mushrooms, garlic and hollandaise sauc
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This is an easy variation of a favorite. I used to prepare it the trad
Asparagus, Orange and Endive Salad
Raspberry vinegar is the key to this fruity tasting salad. Preparatio
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
A supremely filling, hearty soup. I serve this on cold rainy days wit
Slow Cooker Barbequed Pork for Sandwiches
This is always ready for tailgating and barbecues! I serve either on t
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios
I had never tried Brussels sprouts before I tasted this recipe, and im
Delicious Deep-fried Chicken Livers
Mom made them because they are cheap, and now the convenience stores s
You might also like
Rate & Review