(cooking time: 6 hr 30 min; hands-on time: 15 min; 6 servings)
- Flat-cut beef brisket – 5 lb
- Browning sauce – 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – 1 tbsp
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Garlic – 6 cloves, thinly sliced
- Water – 2 tbsps
- Turn on your oven to preheat to 275°F/140°C/Gas Mark 1.
- If there is a flavoring packet with your flat-cut brisket, discard it. Brush the meat on all sides with the browning sauce.
- Add vegetable oil to a large skillet; heat over medium-high heat.
- Place brisket into the skillet; let brown on one side (5 to 8 minutes); turn over and let brown on the other side.
- Add water to a roasting pan and arrange a rack set in it. Place the brisket on the rack set; top with sliced onions and garlic. Use aluminum foil to cover the pan.
- Cook for about 6 hours until the beef is tender.
- Serve with mustard or horseradish.
- Note: you can cook this corned beef in a slow cooker - 6 hours on low will do as well.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.